An example of a persuasive speech is a sales pitch. During a sales pitch, the speaker is trying to convince the audience to buy his or her product or service. If the salesperson is successful, the audience (the person being sold to) will choose to purchase the product or service.
Terms in this set (7)
- Advertisements. Try to convince you to do or buy something.
- Editorials. About current issues appear in newspaper and magazines, or on television, radio, and the internet.
- Speeches. Persuasive ******** try to convince an audience to take action.
- Persuasive essays.
We put together a list of persuasive speech topics covering a wide range of categories to help you write that perfect persuasive speech. Are paper books better than e-books? Should all students be required to learn an instrument in school? Should all national museums be free to citizens?Feb 24, 2020
It is a piece of writing where the writer uses logic and reason to show that your idea or point of view is more valid than another idea. You should support them with facts and logical reasons. In a persuasive essay or argument essay, the writer convinces the reader of their perspective on a specific issue.
6 Steps for Writing a Persuasive Speech
- Step 1: Select a Topic and Angle.
- Step 2: Define Your Persuasive Goal.
- Step 3: Analyze the Audience.
- Step 4: Build an Effective Persuasive Argument.
- Step 5: Outline Your Speech.
- Step 6: Deliver a Winning Speech.
Here are seven effective methods to open a speech or presentation:
- Quote. Opening with a relevant quote can help set the tone for the rest of your speech.
- “What If” Scenario. Immediately drawing your audience into your speech works wonders.
- “Imagine” Scenario.
- Powerful Statement/Phrase.
The Five-Step Writing Process for Persuasive Essays
- Choose a position. Students should think about the issue and pick the side they wish to advocate.
- Understand the audience.
- Do the research.
- Identify the most convincing evidence, as well as the key points for the opposing view.
Top Persuasive Speech Topics for 2020 on Ethics
- Juvenile delinquency is acceptable.
- Prostitution should be legal.
- Underage driving should be punishable by law.
- Beauty pageants for children should be banned.
- Prisoner's right to vote.
- Voting rights should not be universal.
- Guns should be banned from college campuses.
There are three kinds of persuasive speeches most often used in the area of beliefs and attitudes. These are speeches of fact, value, and policy. You can argue about what is, what should be, or how it should be. In making any of these kinds of speeches, you make specific claims that you seek to prove to your audience.
Six Tips for Writing Successful Persuasive Speeches
- Keep your goal in mind. You are trying to persuade the audience to do or believe something.
- Pay attention to who your audience is.
- Put emphasis on your audience.
- Build credibility in your introduction.
- Use lots of examples.
- Practice, practice, practice!