The argumentative essay requires investigating the topic and providing an argument. An argumentative research paper also requires primary and secondary sources and much deeper research. The persuasive essay has one main goal – to present the writing skills of the student and persuade a reader on one’s perspective.
Debate Topics Master List
- All people should have the right to own guns.
- The death penalty should be abolished.
- Human cloning should be legalized.
- All drugs should be legalized.
- Animal testing should be banned.
- Juveniles should be tried and treated as adults.
- Climate change is the greatest threat facing humanity today.
The argumentative essay is a specific type of writing in which a student chooses a topic (often a controversial topic), researches it extensively, and then uses the evidence gathered in their research process to establish their opinion or position on the topic in an essay designed to persuade others to share that
It is used to settle disputes and discover truth. Teachers assign argumentative writing so students can learn to examine their own and other's ideas in a careful, methodical way. Argument teaches us how to evaluate conflicting claims and judge evidence and methods of investigation.
The List of Good Topics for an Argumentative Essay
- Can the death penalty be effective?
- Can smoking be prevented by making tobacco illegal?
- Are girls too “mean” in their friendship?
- Is competition really good?
- Is buying a lottery ticket a good idea?
- Is religion the cause of war?
- Is fashion really important?
Here's the basic outline of a Rogerian argument:
- Present the issue. Introduce the problem and explain why it should be addressed.
- Summarize the opposing arguments. State their points and discuss situations in which their points can be valid.
- State your points.
- State the benefits of adopting your points.
The argumentative essay requires investigating the topic and providing an argument. An argumentative research paper also requires primary and secondary sources and much deeper research. The persuasive essay has one main goal – to present the writing skills of the student and persuade a reader on one's perspective.
Sports argumentative essay topics
- NCAA has a negative impact on the academic progress of student-athletes.
- Steroids should be considered illegal.
- Colleges spend too much money on sports.
- Female student-athletes are discriminated.
- Is cheerleading a real sport?
Suggestions for Developing Argumentative Essays
- Select an arguable topic, preferably one which interests, puzzles, or appeals to you.
- Take a position on your topic, and form a thesis statement.
- Consider your audience.
- Present clear and convincing evidence.
- Draft your essay.
- Edit your draft.
An argumentative research paper is analytical, but it uses information as evidence to support its point, much as a lawyer uses evidence to make their case. For example, you might try to find research to back up the stand that ancient Egyptian women were the first feminists.