Also, just setting up to edit a manuscript takes two or three hours, which gets amortized over the course of a whole book but not an article. In general, the average rate at which copyeditors edit is 4 pages (or 1,000 words) per hour.Apr 30, 2021
Proofreading is the very last step in the writing process. Proofreading ensures that the document is completely free of errors and polished to a high standard. Proofreading is important as it can add power to our writing; without it, our work has a higher chance of containing errors.Jul 19, 2018
2. Developmental editing. This more thorough editing process can take around 2 weeks for an approximately 25,000-word manuscript or 2 months for a 100,000-word manuscript. But obviously, this can vary depending on factors like the quality of the writing, the complexity of the subject, and the exact length.Dec 9, 2019
Proofreaders check and edit written documents, articles and books before they are published. You'll provide a final quality check before written work is made available to the public. You need to have a high level of attention to detail and good spelling, punctuation and grammar skills to do this job.
How Much Money Can You Make Proofreading? According to salary.com the median salary for an online proofreader is $52,202 per year. Keep in mind that the amount of money a proofreader makes will be dependent on how fast they work per hour. Some proofreading freelancers make anywhere from $25-$50 per hour.
Although proofreaders are responsible for eliminating errors, they are still prone to making mistakes. According to science, our brains aren't wired to place a lot of attention on details. Furthermore, a lack of time, training, or experience are all reasons why a proofreader may overlook a blunder.
How To Get Proofreading Jobs? The best route into a career as a proofreader is by gaining a proofreading qualification; you can apply directly to publishers if you have the relevant certification. However, the most common way into a proofreading role is through work experience as an editorial assistant or intern.
Tips For Effective Proofreading
- Proofread backwards.
- Place a ruler under each line as you read it.
- Know your own typical mistakes.
- Proofread for one type of error at a time.
- Try to make a break between writing and proofreading.
- Proofread at the time of day when you are most alert to spotting errors.
What is another word for proofread?
Freelance Proofreader Salary
|Annual Salary||Hourly Wage|